Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Eye For An Eye Will Make the Whole World Blind

Osama Bin Laden is dead, killed by Navy Seals and the CIA. The newspapers and the Internet are filled with stories of jubilant rejoicing in the streets, loud proclamations of pride for America. The Huffington Post's ‘tweets’ from the famous were, other than Katy Perry's “I believe in justice... but don't u think that an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind?" joyous.


We’d spent an evening in blissful oblivion. No- Breaking News Stories interfering with our Netflix streaming. Mark went online sometime after midnight. I was in bed reading when he came into the room and his tone strangely flat and emotionless said, “Osama Bin Laden is dead. He was assassinated in Pakistan by the CIA.” I was stunned. Neither of us believe as President Obama did that “justice has been done.” Sending in the CIA to assassinate Osama bin Landen didn’t feel like justice. It just felt wrong. We felt weird, scared and strangely impassive.


Now we find ourselves in this uncomfortable state of disconnect. Are we the only Americans feeling this way? Are we the only ones not bursting with patriotic pride? Did I love Osama Bin Laden? No. Did I hate him? Again, the answer is no. I hated what he did, and what he stood for. I feared his message of hate and destruction and his death has not diminished that fear, because killing him has not rid the world of religious extremists and that is what he was, a religious extremist. And extremists of any ilk are scary people.


His death has not made America safer. He was the leader of a movement. His acolytes are many. They now have more reason to hate Americans than ever before. The man may be dead but the icon is alive and well. The myth will live and grow and fuel more hate, more reactions and more deaths.


Last year I heard Archbishop Desmond Tutu speak. He is very funny, unassuming, and so candid in his affect. I witnessed unconditional love that night. He showed us his heart, invited us in and filled the room with love. He started small and led us into an ever-expanding circle of love and it felt so good.


“Do you feel love for children?” “Oh yes,” murmurs from the audience. What about poor and hungry children, don’t we love them? And their parents, and those ravaged by war, destruction, and disease?” As this circle of love widened, as we murmured our affirmatives, my heart chakra opened as never before. Then out of Archbishop Tutu mouth came two shocking words, “George Bush.”


We needed to love George Bush too? Achhhhh! There was a collective cringe, followed by stunned embarrassment. Unconditional love we were just reminded isn’t easy. True to form, Archbishop Tutu giggled, as he continued to build this circle of love, “…and Osama bin Laden he needs love too” And he is right. Yet, how do I find a place in my heart for George Bush and Bin Laden? Unconditional love is really hard and suddenly I didn’t feel so good, so sanctimonious.


While I am still struggling to find a place in my heart for bin Laden (and George Bush) I don’t rejoice in his assassination. The reporting of American’s exhilaration and pride fills me with sadness and shame. I fear those who take joy in revenge. Mark is just as confused and alienated as I am. Surely we aren’t the only ones. As he put down the paper yesterday he commented, “this is a time for reflection, not joy.” I think I’ll reflect more on unconditional love.


No comments:

Post a Comment