Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How to Use QI to Open a Bottle of Wine

Did you ever have trouble opening a bottle of wine? Doesn’t matter what kind of opener you’re using, some corks just don’t want to budge. What’s a person to do? I wondered if I could use my qigong to do this. Well I could and I did.

One usually thinks of qigong as a series of forms or exercises. We think of it as a way to improve health, lower blood pressure, but opening a bottle of wine? Yes, the skills you learn in a qigong class can be used in your day-to-day living. Broadly put qigong is the skill of moving qi or energy with intention. My intention: open a bottle of wine. With this in mind I began the process by noticing my feet and their connection with the ground, I imagined the qi coming up from the earth, through my feet, up my legs and about the time I got to my knees the cork flew out of the bottle. I was stunned, because I hadn’t really done anything.

But obviously I did do something, but what? We have already mentioned intention, which is in qigong parlance: Yi. It is a necessary part of one’s qigong practice. At the beginning of my weekly qigong class each student states his or her intention, aloud or silently. These are simple statements of purpose, one person may want to work on a back or knee issue. Someone else may want the ability to stay focused, centered or grounded. Your intention need not be this specific; one can have a general focus on improved health and well-being. Or maybe your intention can be as mundane as remembering the next sequence of a form, or opening a bottle of wine. It’s all good and all part of a qigong practice.

Did you notice how fast the qi moved? Much more quickly than my thoughts. My mind was only at my knees when the cork came out to the bottle. Imagine how much qi I had actually moved up to my hands by the time I noticed it at my knees. It’s pretty awesome when you think about it. The force of the cork coming out of the wine bottle was unexpected and surprising.

I have used this technique to open stubborn jars and those little tubes of watercolor paint that are notoriously difficult to open. So, in addition to the overall health benefits of qigong there are practical applications. Your qigong practice can affect all aspects of your life.

Have a safe and happy New Year’s Eve. If you have trouble opening up your champagne at midnight this year, consider studying qigong as a New Year Resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment